Sunday, August 07, 2005

Running Gear V: My Running Watch

A running watch is one of the more important equipment to a runner. It helps a runner to know how long they ran. The most basic functions used is the stopwatch for time recording. Currently in the market, they range from simple electronic watch with just stopwatch function to pacer, high tech Heart Rate Monitors, Distance measurement, GPS, calories calculator,...etc etc etc. #################################### When i first started running a year ago, I only use a very simple casio watch that costs $15, the F-91W shown on the left. It was until I started to reach the distance of more than 10km, running more than an hour that i realised this watch is not enough. For a simple reason, it can only measure time up to 59min 59sec. I went NIKE REAL Run last year running more than an hour and also Army Half Marathon running more than 2hrs. This watch is simply not enough!! ##################################### I decided to look around for a more decent watch for running with the only criteria that the stopwatch can measure for at least 10hrs. Some target was found, example like Timex ironman series but I found the price too high for my budget, basic cheapest is around $100 with 30 lap memory. Searched around for a few weeks until I finally found this PHY series from Casio, which is specially for sports. Looking at the Specs from the Casio website. It was simply incredible for a price of $45. Furthermore, this is a low power 10 year battery life watch!! The stopwatch can measure up to 99hrs 59min 59sec!! It has a 60 lap memory with training log of maximun 61 records (depends on number of lap memories used per run. Other functions which i do not use include pacer signal, distance measurement using stride length, dual time, auto light, 5 alarms. A good buy indeed!! Cheers...........................Timing is a secondary factor in my running. I only keep time for my training log and to monitor the time for me to stop and go to work during my morning run.

2 comments:

Muggs said...

Mm.... I can only admire from far for now

ah chuan said...

Great bargain!
May I know where you bought it?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails